Let me tell you that your ZZZ's are your greatest ally!
DID YOU KNOW?
A great night's sleep plays a significant role in how athletes perform and compete.
It's not just about the physical conditioning and conscious eating or about the amount of sleep, but also the quality and REM (rapid eye movement), which provides the energy to both the brain and body.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
A great night's sleep has the most incredible benefits in how we perform (and it's not just in sport, it affects our work, education, relationships). Here are the exciting areas on how sleep can impact our performance:
- Improved reaction time/decision making
- Better Accuracy Faster
- Reduced injury rates
- Improved overall health and immunity
- Improve focus, concentration, better memory
IMAGINE....... having all of this from a good night's sleep!!!
HERE'S THE SCIENCE BIT......
- Sleeping allows our bodies to release the chemicals and hormones required for ultimate growth and repair for our whole body to be ready for the next training session or competition.
- Sleep deprivation slows down your body's ability to store glycogen required for giving you energy - this is why you can feel tired.
- While we sleep, our brains clear out all the gunk of the day that has built up from all the activity of using it - it's why you can experience brain fog if you have not had a good night’s sleep because all the chemicals have not had time to be cleared.
- Sleep deprivation increases your hormone cortisol which is the stress hormone. Hence, your body has to use more energy to reduce it, reducing its power to perform at your best.
What can you do for a great night’s sleep?
- Keep a regular sleep schedule.
- Avoid any stimulating activity at least 20 minutes before you sleep, such as TV's, phones, etc. - the blue light reduces the melatonin release that allows you to sleep.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet.
- Get at least 30 minutes of sunlight in the day, and the morning sun is best
- Create a restful environment that's cool, dark, and quiet
Getting a good night's SLEEP is not just about hitting the pillow to wake to a new day; it is one of the vital secret weapons to an outstanding performance!!!
Inspirational Sleep experts we love - Dr. Matthew Walker, Dr. Michael Breus