What Is Pleurotus?
Pleurotus ostreatus (or Oyster mushroom) is a medicinal mushroom of scientific interest for its polysaccharide composition, but also for its significant content of other bioactive substances such as dietary fibre, enzymes, phenolic compounds and more. This species is one of the most marketed and consumed in cooking along with Shiitake. It is also known as ‘Oyster mushroom’,‘Orellana’, ‘Belarri landu’ or ‘Píng Gū’.
Powerful benefits of Pleurotus
Excellent source of dietary fibre
Studies have explored its effects on the immune system and as a prebiotic. It also contains high quality proteins, minerals and vitamins (especially B group), amino acids, fatty acids, and more.
LikePleurotus eryngii (King oyster mushroom), the oyster mushroom contains protein, polysaccharides, unsaturated fatty acids, vitamins and other nutrients, and is low in fat, making it a high-quality food. Its micronutrients include:
- Beta-glucans, known to support the immune system.
- Peptides, Ostreolysin, laccase, lectin and other peptides and fatty acids.
- Vitamins, B & D group.
- Minerals, Rich in zinc.
- Krüzselyi, D., Kovács, D., Vetter, J. (2016). Chemical analysis of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus eryngii) fruiting bodies. Acta Alimentaria, 45(1), 20-27. doi:10.1556/066.2016.45.1.3.
- Stajic, M., Vukojevi, J., Duletic-Lauševic S. (2009). Biology of <i>Pleurotus eryngii</i> and role in biotechnological processes: a review. , 29(1), 55-66. doi:10.1080/07388550802688821.
- Sun, Y., Hu, X., & Li, W. (2017). Antioxidant, antitumor and immunostimulatory activities of polypeptide from Pleurotus eryngii mycelium. International journal of biological macromolecules, 97, 323-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.01.043.
- Wong, Jack Ho., et al (2020). Fungal extracts and compounds with suppressive action on breast cancer: evidence from studies with cultured cancer cells, tumour-bearing animals and clinical trials. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, (), -. doi:10.1007/s00253-020-10476-4.
- Xue, Zhaohui; Li, Jiaomei; Cheng, Aiqing; Yu, Wancong; Zhang, Zhijun; Kou, Xiaohong; Zhou, Fengjuan (2015). Identification of triterpene structure of Pleurotus eryngii mushroom with inhibitory effects against breast cancer. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 70(3), 291-296. doi:10.1007/s11130-015-0492-7
- Yang, RL, Li, Q. and Hu, QP. Physicochemical properties, microstructures, nutritional components and free amino acids of Pleurotus eryngii as affected by different drying methods. Sci Rep 10, 121 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-56901-1
- Zhang, Bingru; Li, Yanying; Zhang, Fuming; Linhardt, Robert J.; Zeng, Guoyang; Zhang, Anqiang (2019). Extraction, structure and bioactivities of Pleurotus eryngii polysaccharides: a review. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, (), S0141813019338218-. doi:10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2019.10.144.